Often, like most people, our house is a whirlwind in the morning. We have a family of 6. Both Adam (my husband) and I work, and 3 of our 4 kids are in school. Oh, and did I mention we only have one car.
One thing that makes things go smoothly is that we eat the same thing every morning. 3 people eat waffles and 3 eat a bowl of oatmeal. We have a couple of kids with some anxiety, so having the expectation of what they are going to eat helps take out the stress of decision making in the morning.
About every 2 weeks I will make a large batch of waffles and all I have to do is pull out the needed waffles from a bag in the freezer and toast it in the toaster. The favorite toppings for waffles in our house are Nutella, peanut butter, syrup, jam (my favorite jam is raspberry or peach).
One of the things I like about the recipe is that it can be pretty healthy. I have had to go dairy free recently and so I substitute regular milk with almond milk and also I used coconut oil because honestly I forgot to get canola oil last time I was at the store and they turned out great.
What tips and tricks to you have to make your busy morning go smoothly?
Do you have a favorite breakfast food you eat every morning?
Large Batch Waffles
- 7 C. Flour
- 4 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 Eggs
- 8 C. Milk
- 2 C. Oil
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl- Flour, salt and baking powder.
- Whisk gently to get rid of clumps.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add eggs, milk and oil in center of well then mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Cook batter in waffle iron – Each waffle iron is different, mine doesn’t have a light indicator because it doubles as a griddle, so i have to set a time for 5-6 min and my griddle holds about 1 1/2 C. of batter.